Monday, May 10, 2010

Chicken with Basil (Gai Pad Graprow)

Recipe from Temple of Thai
Ingredients
1 lb boneless chicken thighs, coarsely chopped (I used minced chicken breast -came out a bit dry.)
4-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 shallots, thinly sliced
2-3 tbsp peanut oil for stir-frying
2 tsp black soy sauce
1-2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 cup fresh Thai basil
2 small kaffir lime leaves (I used 1/2 tablespoon of lime zest)
5-10 Thai chillies (prik kee noo), chopped and pounded with a mortar and pestle
dash of ground white pepper

Directions
Heat a wok until the surface is smoking hot. Swirl in the oil to coat the wok surface. Wait a few seconds for the oil to heat, then stir in the garlic, followed a few seconds later with shallots. Stir another few seconds before adding the chicken. Stir-fry a minute or two, or until most of the chicken has started to change color on the outside and is no longer pink.
Toss in the chillies and slivered kaffir lime leaves.  Sprinkle black soy sauce over the mixture and stir-fry another 15-20 seconds. Then add fresh basil leaves and fish sauce to taste. Stir and mix well. Stir-fry another half a minute, or until the basil is wilted and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with white pepper. Stir and transfer to a serving dish, or spoon directly over individual plates of plain steamed rice.

5 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom - one of my favourite Thai dishes to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I super love Graprow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sleepwalkingintokyo,
    you should make it with either pork or chicken thigh meat. mine came out really dry cuz i used minced chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tips! I wonder when I'll have to chance to cook this coz' it's difficult to get stuff like Thai basil & kaffir lime leaves over here :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...so confession. I used basil leaves I found at a local Asian market..I'd like to think that I bought Thai basil. As for kaffir lime leaves, I replaced it with lime zest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails