Monday, September 27, 2010

Spaghetti with Mushrooms

Almost same recipe as Spaghetti w/ Clams, Japanese Style

serves 4
Ingredients
1 lb dry spaghetti
1 large clove garlic, sliced
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 -3/4 lb shimeji, enoki, and oyster mushrooms (use shiitake instead of oyster mushrooms)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sake
3 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup of chicken stock
a handful julienned nori seaweed
a handful of Chinese chives
salt

Directions
1. In a large pot with salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti until tender yet al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil over low heat in a large frying pan. Add the sliced garlic and chli pepper and cook until fragrant, at least 5 minutes. When the garlic slices are turning golden, add the mushrooms and stir. Pour in sake and chicken stock, cover the pan with a lid, and cook about 5 to 6 minutes. Add Chinese chives.  Turn the heat to high, add in the cooked spaghetti and stir.
3. Arrange on serving plates and sprinkle with the nori seaweed.
I added a few drops of sesame oil and lemon juice.  I think I can better the taste of this dish by using shiitake instead of oyster mushrooms.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I need to get some nori to make some Japanese inspired pastas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Su-Lin, you should try the spaghetti with clams (japanese style) recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, do you pay more than regular Americans for your groceries just because you use a lot of "Oriental" (I hate that word.) ingredients for your cooking? Or maybe San Fran is very Asian-populated, more so than I'd imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ai, I find myself spending a lot less when I go Asian grocery shopping. I usually go to Asian markets when I visit my parents in Cupertino (home of Apple HQ!). There are countless Asian markets in the suburbs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and classic! I will need a bigger bowl tho!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails